Lots of people know facts about Jesus, and maybe you could spout them too: Jewish guy, virgin birth, 12 disciples, died on a cross. While the facts are important, many people stop there and miss the point of His whole time on earth: to give us the opportunity to know God personally.
He loves you so much! Not only did He leave Heaven to come to earth and teach us what God was like, He also died an incredibly painful death for sins He didn’t commit, so that you could have a relationship with God. Romans 5:8
Accepting Jesus’ death on the cross as the payment for your sins and beginning a relationship with Jesus is called salvation. It is a gift from God, not something you can earn, inherit, or manipulate God into giving you. Faith is the only thing that is required for you to receive God’s forgiveness of your sin and to start a relationship with Him. Ephesians 2:8
Scripture teaches us that when you believe in who Jesus is (God, who was crucified and rose from the dead) and confess Him to be the Lord of your life, you have His forgiveness, His presence in your life, and His assurance of eternity. Romans 10:9
Don’t mistake salvation for some sort of spiritual check box. This is about a relationship with the God of the universe. Following Jesus means doing just that – following His plans and His will for your life instead of your own. It is not easy, but it is worth it.
If you are ready to begin a relationship with Jesus, talk to Him.
- Confess your sin to Him and ask His forgiveness.
- Admit that you can’t save yourself, but that you believe in His death and resurrection and want it to count for you.
- Finally, commit your life to Him and ask Him to be in control.
Like any new relationship, following Jesus takes some work.
Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Get a Bible, and begin to read it (The Gospel of John is a great place to start).
- Spend time in prayer, just talking to God and learning to listen to Him, too.
- Join us at Renovation Church, or another church that preaches God’s Word that will help you grow.
- Tell someone about your decision that can help you along the way.
- Follow Jesus’s instructions to be baptized. It’s a symbol of the new life that you now have.
As you live for Him and experience His transformation in your life, you will begin to see what the Bible describes as fruit. Words, actions, and attitudes that were never possible on your own. Look for those moments and thank God for working in your life.
We want to help you grow in your walk with God and answer any questions you have about your new relationship with Jesus. You don’t have to, but please consider letting us know about your decision right now so we can follow up and help you. Jason@theRenovation.church